Sunday, April 15, 2012

Rancho Seco Howard Ranch Trail

The biggest profusion of flowers I saw today
Today, I tackled the Rancho Seco Howard Ranch Trail.  Apparently, this ranch once housed an aging Seabiscuit, or so I read.  

This hike is an easy 7 mile hike at the Rancho Seco recreation area, about 40 minutes from Sacramento.

In Sacramento, this is the best time of year for viewing wildflowers at the area's vernal pools so I went expecting a big display.  I got ..... a little display, but it was a nice day anyway.

The first mile or so of this hike is just lovely.  It curves along the edge of the lake so you get to hear tons of birds, frogs, and crickets.  That was definitely my favorite part!  After that, you enter a gated cow pasture and follow that trail for a mile or so.  I found myself looking down at the trail a lot rather than enduring the cow stares.  Silly cows.  Silly me.


The next 3 miles loop through more ranch land.  Here, things get a little monotonous.  There are no trees at all but there are a few vernal pools and wildflowers.  Oh, and LOTS of signs saying, "STAY ON TRAIL!"  Those must be some well trained cows.  Anyway, I felt a little silly wandering on foot all over some pasture, sort of like a cowboy with no horse.


The strangest thing about this hike is that you've got this looming landmark wherever you go.  Those nuclear towers are just kinda creepy to me.

All in all, if you're looking for vernal pool action this spring, I say try Mather Field.

Happy hiking!





2 comments:

  1. Your photos are great, Janise, I especially like the first one of the trail. It looks like a really easy hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a really easy hike! I did the 7 miles in 2.5 hours. The first mile is really very lovely. (Those towers are at your back for that part!!!)

    ReplyDelete